Lynnfield weathers powerful nor’easter

Mar 7, 2018 by

Published in the March 7, 2018 edition

LYNNFIELD — With sustained winds of about 45 miles an hour, last weekend’s nor’easter battered the town for the better part of two days, downing trees and power lines, sending untethered trampolines flying into the street, felling large limbs onto homes and keeping Lynnfield’s public safety and DPW crews constantly on the move.

Most of the reports came into police headquarters on Friday, Feb. 2. The first weather-related call was at 6:50 a.m., for a tree limb and wires down in the middle of Edgemere Road.

At 7:27 a.m. a tree was down on Wing Road.

SEVERE STORM damage on Pine Street will require a better clean-up crew than Babe the Blue Ox. (Joanne Cedrone Photo)

A large tree limb was leaning on wires at the corner of Walnut Street and Bluejay Road just before 11 a.m.

Summer Street at Highland Avenue was determined to be impassable due to a tree leaning on power lines there around 11:05 a.m.

At 12:09 p.m. a trampoline was blown from a Thomas Road yard into the street. An officer put it back in the yard where it belonged.

Half of Wildewood Drive was blocked by a downed tree around 12:30 p.m.

Alexandra Road was impassable thanks to a downed tree around 1:15 p.m.

A tree was blocking Cortland Lane around 1:15 p.m.

A small limb down near 160 Main St. apparently was broken up by vehicles driving over it around 1:20 p.m.

Wires were impacted by a tree on Summer Street around 1:50 p.m.

A large tree was blocking the entirety of Lovell Road at 1:52 p.m.

Traffic lights at the intersection of Salem Street and Route 1 weren’t working at 2:16 p.m.

A large tree came down onto Main Street near the Sagamore Spring Golf Course around 2:20 p.m. At 2:48 p.m., a utility pole and wires topped at the same location. The whole of Main Street was impassable at this time.

An electric transformer blew and wires came down at about 4:35 p.m. on Bluejay Road, knocking out power.

A tree was blocking Chestnut Street near St. Maria Goretti Church at 4:48 p.m.

Wires were arcing at the Lowell Street-Goldenrod Lane intersection around 5:35 p.m.

Wires were down an arcing at the intersection of Grey Lane and Durham Drive around 5:40 p.m.

A tree fell onto a house on Fernway around 5:40 p.m.

A tree fell onto a house on Tree Top Lane around 6 p.m.

Arlington Street was deemed impassable because of a downed tree around 6:20 p.m.

Large branches were blocking Essex Street at Evans Road around 6:25 p.m. but motorists could get by, police said.

A tree limb was down on some wires on Willowby Way around 6:30 p.m. The street was passable, but Reading Municipal Light reported that a crew wouldn’t be able to address the situation for at least two hours.

A tree was down on wires on Bishops Lane around 6:50 p.m.

A large tree was down on some wires around 6:55 p.m. near St. Maria Goretti Church on Chestnut Street.

A downed tree limb blocked half of Main Street around #136 at 7:14 p.m.

A tree was down on a house on Debston Lane around 7:45 p.m.

Downed limbs caused wires to arc on Pillings Pond Road around 8:40 p.m.

A trampoline blew up against a guy wire on Crescent Avenue around 8:50 p.m.

A resident in the Pillings Pond Road-Ryan Road area said she heard a loud pop and then lost her electricity just before midnight. Reading Municipal Light was notified.

On Sunday, March 4, police were told that a tree limb was resting on some power lines in the 300 block of Lowell Street.

That was about the last of the nor’easter related calls.

Related Posts


Share This