Quarantine likely after attack at the Dog Park

Aug 9, 2018 by

Published in the August 9, 2018 edition.

WAKEFIELD — The dog that bit and seriously injured another dog while at the Dog Park on Tuesday will likely face a 10-day quarantine, Animal Control Officer Kenneth Stache said today. 

A man walked into the police station on Tuesday afternoon and reported that while at the Dog Park that morning, his Vizsla puppy had been attacked by a medium-sized, black, mixed breed dog. The victim dog reportedly sustained serious injuries to its chest and side and required emergency surgery.

The owner of the Vizsla puppy said that as another person came over to assist him with his injured dog, the owner of the dog that committed the attack left the park without identifying herself. She was described as an approximately 50-year-old woman. As a result of information given to police, they were able to identify and speak with a woman who does own a dog fitting the description.

Stache said that he is in the process of wrapping up his investigation and he expects that the dog that committed the attack will be ordered quarantined for 10 days. The victim dog will not have to be quarantined.


Police are investigating after a local man and his 15-year-old son told police that as the boy was walking home on Green Street at about 3 p.m. yesterday, a tan or silver SUV stopped and asked the youth if he wanted a ride home.

The boy said that he did not recognize the man, who was described as a 20 to 30-year-old Hispanic male with some facial hair. 

The boy declined the ride and the driver left the area. 


One driver was cited following a crash on Main Street just before 8 a.m. yesterday. Police said that a 2011 Ford F-550 driven by a Lynn man was towing a trailer with a cement mixer on it.

The driver took a wide turn while attempting to enter a parking lot resulting in a collision with a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that was coming up on the right side of the truck. The driver of the Ford truck was cited for a lane violation.


At about 1:30 p.m. yesterday, police took a report from a New Salem Street resident regarding larceny by check.


At about 2:15 p.m. yesterday, a Lantern Lane resident told police that she was notified that she owed $2,500 on a National Grid account that someone had opened in her name without her authorization. The woman filed a fraud report with National Grid.


Police said that a couple walked into the police station at about 6:30 p.m. yesterday to report vandalism to their 2015 Toyota Highlander that had been parked on North Avenue near West Water Street most of the day on Monday.

According to the report, the passenger side mirror was damaged. When the vehicle would not start, they had it checked by a mechanic who said that some wires under the driver’s side wheel well were also damaged. Police are checking security camera footage as part of their investigation.


At about 1:15 a.m. this morning, a caller reported having a dispute with an employee of the Sunoco gas station on Salem Street in Montrose over pump operation.

The caller was also concerned that the employee was engaging in terrorist activity by smoking near the building entrance.

Arriving officers said that the employee checked out OK and the caller was sent on his way.

Related Posts


Share This